You’ll find answers to all of the most commonly asked questions (FAQs) about Calprotectin testing and products below. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, please contact us.
- Differentiation between IBD and IBS (organic inflammation from functional symptoms)
- Estimation of the degree of gastrointestinal inflammation
- Relapse prediction- calprotectin has been shown to be an indicator for IBD relapse
- Therapeutic monitoring- quantifying calprotectin levels helps validate bowel inflammation status and can also aid in treatment compliance and optimization
If I implement a Calprotectin assay service in my hospital, how many colonoscopies would be avoided?
- <50µg/g = Calprotectin Negative
- 50-200µg/g = Elevated above normal and can represent mild organic disease such as inflammation caused by NSAIDs, mild diverticulitis and IBD in remission phase. The low inflammatory response shown within this range may suggest repeating the measurement and performing further investigations.
- 200µg/g = Calprotectin Positive
With IBD positive patients the monitoring recommended cut-offs are:
- <100µg/g = Low risk of flare
- 100 – 300µg/g = Patient may need closer monitoring
- >300µg/g = Repeat test. If the result remains high then the patient is at risk of flare and other investigations should be initiated.
However, the level of calprotectin in blood isn’t high, so the volume is not usually sufficient to cause a falsely positive result in patients with IBD (cut – off level is usually around 250 – 300µg/g).
- Results trusted by reference centres
- You can trust in our integrity
- Long standing relationship with Bühlmann
- Relationships with NICE, BSG, QIPP, CEP, EQA
- Relationships with Key Opinion Leaders
- Training, applications, workshops, business case
- Established company
- Experienced sales force
- In-depth knowledge of calprotectin and its applications
- Alpha Laboratories have been involved since the early introduction of calprotectin testing and have been instrumental in its adoption for clinical use in the UK
- Quality results, clinical correlation, extensive publications, standardisation across range
The Bühlmann kits are all easy to use and reagents and calibrators are supplied in stable ready to use formats.
There is an assay to suit your setting: laboratory, clinic, home testing, high, medium or low throughput.
There is a large amount of independent literature available that demonstrates the superior linearity and clinical correlation of the Bühlmann Calprotectin assays. Please visit our literature page for some of these published papers and posters.
Please visit our literature page for some of these published papers and posters.
The fCAL turbo has the controls and calibrators available separately so that the laboratories can tailor their individual requirements.
It is recommended to run the Quantum Blue controls (Low and High) at the change of every lot number. Or once a week if the Quantum Blue is not used on a regular basis.
Controls need to be included with each run on fCAL turbo but the calibration is stable for 1-2 months (depending on the analyser).
The Quantum Blue assay shelf-life is 12 months after manufacture.
The fCAL turbo shelf-life is 12 months after manufacture and has a 2 month on board stability for reagents.
|Compound / Drug||Result||Corresponding Daily Dose|
|Hemoglobin||no interference up to 20 mg/g stool||–|
|Ferro-Gradument (ferrous-sulfate)||no interference up to 0.04 mg/ml||315 mg|
|Prednison||no interference up to 0.125 mg/ml||9 g|
|Imurek||no interference up to 0.07 mg/ml||560 mg|
|Vitamin E||no interference up to 0.04 mg/ml||300 mg|
|Vancomycin||no interference up to 0.8 mg/ml||6 g|
|Pentasa||no interference up to 2.0 mg/ml||15 g|
|Asacol||no interference up to 0.5 mg/ml||3.7 g|
|Actavis||no interference up to 0.07 mg/ml||525 mg|
|Ciprofloxacin||no interference up to 0.38 mg/ml||3.6 g|
|Trimetoprim||no interference up to 0.128 mg/ml||960 mg|
|Sulfametoxazol||no interference up to 0.64 mg/ml||4.8 g|
|Multiple Vitamins||no interference up to 3 tablets/day||–|
Analytical specificity: No cross reactivity/interferences detected.
I already have an ELISA processor. Is it possible to put the Calprotectin ELISA on to our own system?
The Calprotectin fCAL ELISA takes around 75 minutes to run.
The Quantum Blue takes 12 minutes to run.
The fCAL turbo takes 10 minutes to run.